Sunday 22 June 2014

[Music] How to dress well - Beyond the good looking



U think I will talk about how to dress up this time? Boy, I can’t and won’t do this now and future as I am not on “Anna Wintour ” level.


“Ryan Gosling, U think u dyed ur hair and beard black that we can’t recognize u? Come on, we still have an ability to tell Adam Levine with platinum hair from Anderson Cooper. “

However, guys, this man is neither Ryan Gosling nor Keanu Reeves.  He is Tom Krell, aka his stage name “How to dress well”.(Maybe he can teach u how to dress well in some day as he is such hipster with good looking )


What is beyond the good looking? Misery and pain.
It’s hard for me to define which kind of music that How to dress well belongs to as his music is so indecipherable. I hear a lot sort of murmur, moan or sigh in his music. His voice is so silky but spectral and the melody of his music is sort of as relaxing as R&B and makes his music sound miserable yet relaxing. Strange, right? Someone labels his music as “Art R&B”.(However, he consider his music as folk music).

Blog is the place where he started his career. He posted his digital EPs in anonymity on his blog.(Why in anonymity? It’s ur blog!) In 2010, he finally released his first album “Love Remains” and draw massive attention from music review site. Even recognized him as one of its "40 Best Bands of 2010". This is the same year when he went trough the death of his best friend and his uncle while ended a relationship (Poor Boy, It make sense that his music always sounds heartbroken).

He released his second album” Total Loss” in 2012. There was one thing happened dramatically before releasing: He scrapped a near-complete album. U know what? Janet Jackson album “Velvet Pope” helped him put things in order.” And so that album [Velvet Rope] to me became a shining light of how to make an album that’s totally true to yourself” He said to complex.com .

Drown urself in his world
When u look into his lyrics, u may ask “What the hell is he talking about?” In his third album, “What is this heart” will release on 24 June, he writes lyrics in a song “Face Again”, “I know I want an answer, I forgot the question”. Can’t get it? As it’s so philosophy and he is a philosophy graduate (He gets Doctorate). Don’t try to overanalyze what philosopher said or u will get overwhelming headache. 

“when I free-associate lyrics I often find myself free-associating things that people say to me. I just started to realize that so much of the lyrical content, and maybe just so much of my life, is constituted through this shared talking that we all do, this conversation.” He said to SPIN.  It explains why u can’t get his lyrics.

Just sink urself into his music and don’t think too much.



Photos are from :SPIN 
How to dress well offical site :howtodresswell.com 
Follow him on instgram @howtodresswellmusic

No comments:

Post a Comment