Sunday 24 April 2016

[Style] Does Brawn Makes Shake-up?


“I’m just an everyday guy,” says Miko.


When you open men’s fashion magazines or see some menswear campaigns, include suit, underwear and swimwear. The male models all you can see there all look like they just came from mythology, having chiseled abs, glinting pecs and shining smile. Ok, I admit these models really please our eyes and make me a day, but it makes me anxious sometime.

What's average? I start to think that is this an average body shape? if so, I had better head to gym and do 3 hours training per day. 

A lot of people advocate that we should embrace what we really are, from inside to outside, love yourself wholeheartedly. However, most people misunderstand this is the right only belongs to women, since we only can see body diversity on female in fashion industry. There are merely two kinds of body image about male models, gym-body and so gaunt that look like they are going to be broken anytime.

 The powerhouse model agency, IMG Models, has created a new, more marketable term for big and tall male models: Brawn. That’s the name of the new plus-size men’s division that the agency recently launched. It marks an attempt to remove the “plus-size” moniker and hopes to represent a more realistic male body shape.

The first model that is going to be representative of Brawn is Zach Miko, a model has 6ft 6in and 40in waist figure.

“I want Brawn to relate to every man who wants to feel good about their self-esteem and self-image.” This is what Miko says about his role of being the first brawn model.

To be honest, it is good to see a very different size male model to make a shake-up in fashion industry and help us to ease our worries on our body, even, help us to build confidence on our bodies.

“When men have self-esteem issues, it can lead to insecurity and depression, which can manifest itself as bullying, or imposing unrealistic standards which men then project onto women, objectifying them and keeping this disgusting cycle continuing forever. It’s a terrible trend that has led to terrible places for a lot of people.” He shared his insight with Vogue.


Besides, he shared what influence that being a model brings to him. “After modeling, I realized I didn’t want to change for myself, I wanted to change for other people. I wanted to change for casting directors and producers. I wanted to change so society would find it easier for me to be around. But I liked being the big guy; I didn’t want to change for me.”

Moreover, he wants to correct negative meaning with “big” and “fat” as most people think these two words usually have insult.

It is good to have this size model to show next generation that the models that you usually see on campaigns or editorials are not normal. We need different size model to prove that there are more types
of body than you think in this world.


No comments:

Post a Comment