Sunday 10 April 2016

[Style] The Real You Is Sexy




“There is a lot voice out there trying to tell you what the means of being a real man.”

This quote is from the latest campaign with body positivity message of American Eagle's lingerie label Aerie. It is called #AerieMan. To conform its mantra “the real you is sexy”, the campaign features four different shapes and sizes guys. You will meet Matthew, the model with abs, Doug, the chubby hairy guy, Devon, skinny guy and Kelvin, chubby black men.

What is positive body image? “Healthy body image to me is that loving who you are, not trying to create someone else to make you feel good”. Doug says confidently.



The foursome talk about what is the real men, confidence, and health body image in their own clip. I have my favorite line comes from Doug, “It feels incredibly empowering to know that my flaws are going to be embraced.” You can see how free and confident Doug is with his underwear, even doing yoga and bending over in front of lens. He really shows what is “be comfortable in your own skin”

“Everyone should be comfortable in their own skin.” Matthew says in his clips.




To be honest, this campaign really breaks the rule of having model to shoot underwear campaign. At the beginning, I felt uncomfortable and looked away while watching the clips (except Matthew’s) since this is not the campaign I used to see. If there is a hot model bending over in front of lens, dancing in his underwear or taking “belfie”, I think I will be pleased and repeat them a million times. You can say I may have some issues of body-shaming (shame on me), it’s fine.

 


“But, hey, wait a minute, this is what guys look like in their underwear in their daily lives, not everyone is like a model with abs and it’s not illegal to be in underwear without having abs. There is no reason having awkward feeling, it just represents the normal us ” I talked to myself.

I know I introduce a lot models with chiseled abs, stunning pecs and amazing looking in this blog and call them steaming hot or sexy guys. It may mistakenly guide you to think this is the meaning of “what is sexy”, moreover, make you think this look is representative what a man should look like.

 


 However, it’s not my intention, all I want to do is raising the attention to great male models and share what makes them right now. It is true that I think they are hot but it doesn’t mean the man can’t be sexy without having body like these models have. 

You can be sexy in other way, and in my opinion, confidence is the key to be sexy. Like what
Matthew mentions “If you are confident in yourself, you will be happy.”

So, what is a real man? As long as you live happily, live with confidence, and embrace your flaws, you are a real sexy man.



No comments:

Post a Comment